Writing and a 'little bit famous ...'


Since this blog is about where writing meets life ... or where life meets writing, I thought I'd share my new favourite quote about writing. 

It's by S.E. Hinton, author of, among many y/a books, The Outsiders. 

I first heard this quote when she was interviewed by Michael Enright of CBC, and found it in an interview with Don Swain from 1987 which may be the original quote.

Don asked S.E. how her life has changed since the success of The Outsiders. Here's the quote:

"People have a funny idea about what a little bit famous does for you ... a little bit famous in the writer's field doesn't come in and empty your dishwasher every morning ... doesn't do much for you really."

Tru dat, S.E., tru dat! To me, that means we need to focus on the writing and continuously improving our craft. Good resolution for the New Year. 

You can listen to the full 20 minute interview with S.E. Hinton through the link above.

And to celebrate a new year of writing and 2015 as the Year of the Sheep (or the goat depending on which site you look at), here's to goats and sheep and their contribution to writing (off the top of my head I'm thinking cheese). 

In addition to cheese, every writer needs a supportive dragon (or substitute the small domestic animal of your choice) perched on their keyboard.



Comments

Diane Girard said…
I don't have a supportive dragon, but I do have a jade pig which was given to me a number of years ago. It is said to be lucky.

Hmm that reminds me of a story.
Jan Markley said…
A jade pig sounds cool Diane!

Popular Posts